Every now and then, we all go through a phase where we get in a funk. We may feel uninspired or have been tapping into our left brain for too long that it seems to burn us out. Creativity breeds passion, invention, and purpose. And there are many ways to channel into the creative abilities that we all have innately.
- Listen to music.
- Play one of your favorite playlists and put on some headphones and get lost in the music. The lyrics might just inspire you to try something new.
- Coloring books just aren’t restricted to children anymore! You can find many coloring books for adults that have been proven to be very therapeutic.
3. Read a magazine
- The visual’s in a magazine can provide a source for inspiration. Find what inspires and resonates with you.
- If you feel like your brain is fried and too overwhelmed to do more thinking, taking nap allows your mind to take a break and come back with a new perspective.
- Find a place in your home to decorate. That could be adding a colorful pillow or making your bed in a different way. Find art that inspires you and makes the place your creative sanctuary.
6. Have a drink.
- We rarely drink wine or any type of alcohol for that matter, but it can be useful in the creative process. It’s been the source of inspiration for many authors which include Ernest Hemingway and William Faulkner.
- If you have any friends who are creatively inclined, it would be a great idea to collaborate with them. Exchange ideas and you may stumble upon something inspirational.
8. Free writing.
- Take a piece of paper or your laptop and start writing whatever comes to mind. It doesn’t have to make sense and you can even draw pictures in place of words. You never know what you might come up with.
- Think about the what you want in the future. Visualize every detail as if it’s already real. And ask yourself the steps you need to take to get there.
10. Laugh it out.
- Watch a funny television show or movie. Studies show that positive moods elevate your creativeness because your prefrontal cortex and anterior cingulate cortex become activated.